ICMA 100th Annual Conference: The Path to Community Solar

This interactive workshop, presented by the SunShot Solar Outreach Partnership, provided actionable information on the Path to Community Solar at ICMA’s 100th Annual Conference on September 13, 2014.

Studies by the National Renewable Energy Lab and others have found that, after taking into account shading, building design, and ownership issues such as rent or condominium membership, only about 25% of residential rooftops can support solar photovoltaic systems. However, Community Solar can enable the other 75% to take advantage of the benefits of solar energy development. Community Solar refers to solar projects or programs that provide power or financial benefit to multiple community members; moreover, they can be administered by private residents, municipalities, companies, or utilities. This workshop explored the various options and benefits, along with the barriers and challenges of advancing Community Solar projects in your region. If you have questions, please e-mail solar@icma.org. Read more >>